We are in the process of moving the old site to a fancy WordPress site!
Trashy Travel was started in the late 90s as Hipster Travel when it was hard to pick out the noise on the internet to find the few select things that we like to do when we visit anywhere. During the great hipster backlash of the mid 00’s it became apparent that a name change was in order. Despite the dictionary defining hipster as “a person who keeps up with all the latest happenings, particularly in modern jazz”, the disdain for a new type bearing this moniker has been made known, even from folks suspiciously sporting Goatees and trucker hats. We won’t argue, thus we bring you Trashy Travel: A select collection of travel tips and links for the unconventional traveler.
- Rockabilly and Psychobilly
- Garage Rock and Mod culture
- Punk Rock
- A select amount of Indie rock, but nothing with too much pouting.
- Thrift Stores
- Roadside Architecture
- Amusement Parks
- Drive In Theaters
- Food that is commonly referred to as “Roadfood” made popular by the book and site of the same name and further explored in “Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives” type programming
- Places that are “time capsules”-such as Knoebels Amusement Park in PA, Katz’ Deli in New York City and more.
- Unusual Museums, such as the Spam Museum, or the Mutter Museum
- Places that are so uncool they become cool again. The tacky, trashy and just plain wrong.